On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:43:12 GMT, Eirik Bjorsnos <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Case-insensitive regionMatches could be improved by using
> ArraysSupport.mismatch to skip over long common substrings:

I considered this but saw regressions similar to what you're getting for size =
6 and backed off. I think this might be a good future enhancement, with some
care, but didn't want to encumber this RFE with a case that regresses small
inputs (which tend to be more common in actual applications).

In similar constructs we have avoided doing the vectorized call in a loop since
this could regress worst case inputs severely (an adversary example might be
something like `regionMatches(true, "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", 0,
"aAaAaAaAaAaAaAa", 0, 15)` which will call mismatch 8 times on 15 byte of
input).