On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 23:07:14 GMT, Ian Graves <igra...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This is an approach to adding a flag to jlink that will allow --compress to
>> take the same types of arguments as jmod, thus bringing the two into
>> alignment. This likely requires a CSR and a discussion on whether we should
>> deprecate or simply remove the original numeric compression arguments.
>
> Ian Graves has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Fixing up resources

src/jdk.jlink/share/classes/jdk/tools/jlink/internal/plugins/CompactConstantPoolsPlugin.java
 line 48:

> 46:
> 47:     public CompactConstantPoolsPlugin() {
> 48:         super("compact-constant-pools");

This plugin needs a better option name.   Maybe `--share-utf8-entries`?

I also wonder if anyone really uses this plugin.  It writes the shared UTF8
strings into the jimage.  It incurs overhead in reconstructing the constant
pool when loading classes.    So I wonder if we just drop this plugin -
@AlanBateman, @igraves what do you think?