On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 11:39:21 GMT, Viktor Klang <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I noticed when looking at the code that there was no real need to use a CHM
>> to perform the tracking of activation in an ordered fashion on
>> ForEachOrderedTask, but instead a VarHandle can be used, reducing
>> allocations and indirection.
>
> Viktor Klang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Write the initial value of the next reference without using the VarHandle

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/stream/ForEachOps.java line 515:

> 513:             //
> 514:             @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
> 515:             var leftDescendant = (ForEachOrderedTask<S,
> T>)NEXT.getAndSet(this, null);

I don’t think that this needs a `@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")`, as casts of
signature polymorphic return values don’t emit unchecked warnings (unless that
changed recently):
Suggestion:

            var leftDescendant = (ForEachOrderedTask<S, T>)
NEXT.getAndSet(this, (ForEachOrderedTask<S, T>) null);