On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 02:01:38 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> The discussion is also a reminder that -Djava.compiler=NONE is the
>>> equivalent of -Xint, I thought that system property was dropped a long time
>>> ago.
>>
>> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8041676 suggests to deprecate it, but
>> from the last comment we still seem to be waiting for @dholmes-ora to get
>> back from vacation on the 22nd :-)
>
>> > The discussion is also a reminder that -Djava.compiler=NONE is the
>> > equivalent of -Xint, I thought that system property was dropped a long
>> > time ago.
>>
>> https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8041676 suggests to deprecate it, but
>> from the last comment we still seem to be waiting for @dholmes-ora to get
>> back from vacation on the 22nd :-)
>
> I guess I never heard back from @stuart-marks . :( I think
> [JDK-8041676](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8041676) needs to be
> resolved along side this issue.

I don't know how much interdependency there is between the `java.compiler`
system property and the `java.lang.Compiler` class. On the library side I think
they're independent. But it sounds like @dholmes-ora thinks they should be
resolved at the same time, so maybe there some things going on between them
inside the JVM.

The `java.compiler` property still seems to have some actual effect (see
src/hotspot/share/runtime/arguments.cpp) so it shouldn't be removed
immediately. Instead, it needs to be deprecated and its use should cause a
warning to be issued. A comment in that file also mentions `-Xdebug`. The
Hotspot help message for that says

    -Xdebug           does nothing. Provided for backward compatibility.

which doesn't appear to be true, as `-Xdebug` seems to have an effect on the
interpretation of the `java.compiler` property! Ugh. Well, this appears to be
the only effect of `-Xdebug`, so maybe the eventual removal of the
`java.compiler` property will make the help message become true.

Anyway it sounds to me like the next step is to deprecate the `java.compiler`
property and to have setting it cause a warning to be issued. If @dholmes-ora
thinks that removal of `java.lang.Compiler` should wait until after that, I'm
ok with it.

P.S. I note that I am finally getting back to @dholmes-ora on this issue, and
it is in fact after he has returned from vacation on the 22nd. :-)

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13092#issuecomment-1476662136