On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:08:33 GMT, Viktor Klang <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> If there isn't any value running this test with a debug build then you could
>> have it skip (`@requires vm.debug == false`) to save resources.
>> (fixed typo in original message)
>
> @AlanBateman Wouldn't that be `@requires vm.debug == false` ?

Hello Viktor,

> @jaikiran Having a long timeout doesn't seem like a problem given that it
> just needs enough time to run through the iterations (i.e. that's the max
> duration of the test before giving up).

Having a extremely long timeout of T1 secods for a test which one can
(reasonably) expect to finish in (T1 - X) seconds can mean that when/if it
genuinely times out, then it holds on to the limited shared resources (like the
host machine) for those X seconds longer instead of potentially letting other
tests run during that period. So I think it's always better to have a
reasonable timeout instead of an extremely large one - a value past which you
know that if the test is still running then it's surely be a sign that it
should no longer continue to run.
Typically the timeout for such tests is decided by running the test against the
hosts/environment where it failed and gathering data to see how long it usually
takes to finish successfully on those and then adding some extra seconds to it.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13116#discussion_r1144281676