On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:04:51 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The current implementation came about because of issues with several zip
> tools so we have to be very careful changing it.

Thanks for providing historical context, that's very useful!  Do you happen to
know a few of the zip tools the current implementation has been tested with?

Let me add that the purpose of the change is mainly to facilitate automated
testing of Zip64 features without the need to create ZIP files with sizes
exceeding the 0XFFFFFF limit.

(I am not aware of any existing zip tools producing such small Zip64 files, but
they would be valid according to the APPNOTE format description)

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12524#issuecomment-1427101204