On Thu, 4 May 2023 16:19:04 GMT, Adam Sotona <asot...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Classfile API didn't handle transformations of class files version 50 and
>> below correctly.
>>
>> Proposed fix have two parts:
>> 1. Inflation of branch targets does not depend on StackMapTable attribute
>> presence for class file version 50 and below. Alternative fallback
>> implementation is provided.
>> 2. StackMapTable attribute is not generated for class file versions below 50.
>>
>> StackMapsTest is also extended to test this patch.
>>
>> Please review.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adam
>
> Adam Sotona has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Apply suggestions from code review
>
>   Thanks for review.
>
>   Co-authored-by: liach <7806504+li...@users.noreply.github.com>

I'm considering to adjust current default stackmap generation behaviour from
"when mandatory" to "by class file version".
It will try to generate stackmaps also for class version 50 with failover to
basic stack counter (exactly following JVMS-4.10).
Later it will allow us to add only third option "always" to satisfy also the
very specific use cases going beyond the JVMS boundaries.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13478#issuecomment-1535976554