On 16/05/2023 16:38, Uwe Schindler wrote:
:

Is it really needed to have a next round of preview API? Why not have Java 21 with Foreign API finalized in the same way like virtual threads? To me it is strange that an API like virtual threads was thrown to end-users (it caused problems at many places including slowdowns we have seen when preview was enabled in Java 19 and 20) in very short time (I never noticed a incubation period).

Would it be possible to expand on "it caused problems at many places"? I'm wondering if there are issues that never made it to JBS.

As regards "slowdowns" with preview features enabled, I'm guessing you mean JDK-8300002 [1]. Can you confirm that these issues you observed do not exist with the JDK 21 EA builds?

In contrast the foreign memory API is very stable already since Java 19 and the changes were minimal in 21. It exists now since Java 14, where it first appeared as incubation. I know theres still work on the foreign linker, but why aren't the stable classes like MemorySegment, ValueLayout not public now?

Are you on the panama-dev list? Maurizio sent status in December 2022 [2]. JEP 442, proposing a 3rd preview, has been on the technical roadmap since March [3]. So it shouldn't be a big surprise. The memory APIs has been very difficult to get right, hats off to Maurizio and team for the persistence.

-Alan

[1] https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8300002
[2] https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/panama-dev/2022-December/018182.html
[3] https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/jdk-dev/2023-March/007473.html