On Mon, 22 May 2023 16:06:02 GMT, Martin Doerr <mdo...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Implementation of "Foreign Function & Memory API" for linux on Power (Little
>> Endian) according to "Power Architecture 64-Bit ELF V2 ABI Specification".
>>
>> This PR does not include code for VaList support because it's supposed to
>> get removed by [JDK-8299736](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8299736).
>> I've kept the related tests disabled for this platform and throw an
>> exception instead. Note that the ABI doesn't precisely specify variable
>> argument lists. Instead, it refers to `<stdarg.h>` (2.2.4 Variable Argument
>> Lists).
>>
>> Big Endian support is implemented to some extend, but not complete. E.g.
>> structs with size not divisible by 8 are not passed correctly (see
>> `useABIv2` in CallArranger.java). Big Endian is excluded by selecting
>> `ARCH.equals("ppc64le")` (CABI.java) only.
>>
>> There's another limitation: This PR only accepts structures with size
>> divisible by 4. (An `IllegalArgumentException` gets thrown otherwise.) I
>> think arbitrary sizes are not usable on other platforms, either, because
>> `SharedUtils.primitiveCarrierForSize` only accepts powers of 2. Update:
>> Resolved after merging of
>> [JDK-8303017](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8303017)
>>
>> The ABI has some tricky corner cases related to HFA (Homogeneous Float
>> Aggregate). The same argument may need to get passed in both, a FP reg and a
>> GP reg or stack slot (see "no partial DW rule"). This cases are not covered
>> by the existing tests.
>>
>> I had to make changes to shared code and code for other platforms:
>> 1. Pass type information when creating `VMStorage` objects from `VMReg`.
>> This is needed for the following reasons:
>> - PPC64 ABI requires integer types to get extended to 64 bit (also see
>> CCallingConventionRequiresIntsAsLongs in existing hotspot code). We need to
>> know the type or at least the bit width for that.
>> - Floating point load / store instructions need the correct width to select
>> between the correct IEEE 754 formats. The register representation in single
>> FP registers is always IEEE 754 double precision on PPC64.
>> - Big Endian also needs usage of the precise size. Storing 8 Bytes and
>> 2. It happens that a `NativeMemorySegmentImpl` is used as a raw pointer
>> (with byteSize() == 0) while running TestUpcallScope. Hence, existing size
>> checks don't work (see MemorySegment.java). As a workaround, I'm just
>> skipping the check in this particular case. Please check if this makes sense
>> or if there's a better fix (possibly as separat...
>
> Martin Doerr has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Add comment about Register Save Area.

src/hotspot/cpu/ppc/downcallLinker_ppc.cpp line 161:

> 159:   // (native_abi_reg_args is native_abi_minframe plus space for 8
> argument register spill slots)
> 160:   assert(_abi._shadow_space_bytes == frame::native_abi_minframe_size,
> "expected space according to ABI");
> 161:   // Note: For ABIv2, we only need (_input_registers.length() > 8) ?
> _input_registers.length() : 0

This is hard to understand. It should be explained that we allocate a PSA even
though ABI V2 only requires it if not all parameters can be passed in registers.

src/hotspot/cpu/ppc/downcallLinker_ppc.cpp line 162:

> 160:   assert(_abi._shadow_space_bytes == frame::native_abi_minframe_size,
> "expected space according to ABI");
> 161:   // Note: For ABIv2, we only need (_input_registers.length() > 8) ?
> _input_registers.length() : 0
> 162:   int register_save_area_slots = MAX2(_input_registers.length(), 8);

Both specs, ABI V1 and V2, call this "Parameter Save Area" we should use the
same name.
Suggestion:

  int parameter_save_area_slots = MAX2(_input_registers.length(), 8);

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12708#discussion_r1201132931
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12708#discussion_r1201128718