On Wed, 31 May 2023 14:17:40 GMT, Roger Riggs <rri...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Two thoughts here. The random number source (SecureRandom) should have its
> own tests, UUID has a simple dependency on a generator. The test for UUID is
> that it composes the bits into the UUID correctly. The randomness of the
> generator should be factored out.

This test verifies the way UUID uses the SecureRandom. Think about this as the
less of a unit, and more of the integration test. This would be even more
important once things like https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8308804 show up.

> Second, to raise concern about collisions, then the test should not throw on
> the first detected collision but complete the cycle and provide the simple
> stats on the number of collisions per COUNT (1,000,000).

All right, that we can do. See new commit.

> All those 5 second test runs add up.

Yes, and it would be sad to waste those 5 seconds on something irrelevant. I
would argue that `UUID.randomUUID` breakage would be very unfortunate for the
real world systems. Spending 5 seconds per test run on it is a good investment
here.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14134#discussion_r1211842661