On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:58:23 GMT, SUN Guoyun <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> command: make test CONF=fastdebug JTREG="VM_OPTIONS=-Xcomp"
>> TEST=gc/TestAllocHumongousFragment.java
>> error info:
>>
>> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke
>> "sun.util.locale.BaseLocale.getVariant()" because "base" is null
>> at java.base/java.util.Locale.forLanguageTag(Locale.java:1802)
>> at
>> java.base/sun.util.cldr.CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.<clinit>(CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.java:41)
>> ... 24 more
>>
>> Note that the test runs with -XX:ShenandoahGCHeuristics=aggressive
>> -XX:+ShenandoahOOMDuringEvacALot and SoftReferences are involved
>> (LocaleObjectCache uses SoftReferences, used by printf method called in
>> getRandomInstance(Utils.java:511)).
>>
>> Maybe we have to deal with the case where the getBaseLocale() return value
>> is null. the call stack is:
>>
>>      at
>> java.base/sun.util.locale.LocaleObjectCache.get(LocaleObjectCache.java:64)
>>      at java.base/sun.util.locale.BaseLocale.getInstance(BaseLocale.java:169)
>>      at
>> java.base/sun.util.locale.InternalLocaleBuilder.getBaseLocale(InternalLocaleBuilder.java:524)
>>      at java.base/java.util.Locale.forLanguageTag(Locale.java:1874)
>>
>> in LocaleObjectCache.java:64
>>
>>       62             if (key == null || newVal == null) {
>>
>>       63                 // subclass must return non-null key/value object
>>
>>       64                 return null; // run here
>>       65             }
>
> SUN Guoyun has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous
> commits have been removed. The incremental views will show differences
> compared to the previous content of the PR. The pull request contains one new
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   8289220: Locale.forLanguageTag throws NPE due to soft ref used in locale
> cache being cleared

`make test CONF=fastdebug JTREG="VM_OPTIONS=-Xcomp -XX:+UseShenandoahGC
-XX:ShenandoahGCHeuristics=aggressive -XX:+ShenandoahOOMDuringEvacALot"
TEST=java/util/Locale/SoftKeys.java` can trigger  same error:
<pre><code class="shell">
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke
"sun.util.locale.BaseLocale.getVariant()" because "base" is null
        at java.base/java.util.Locale.forLanguageTag(Locale.java:1876)
        at
java.base/sun.util.cldr.CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.<clinit>(CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.java:45)
        ... 19 more
</code></pre>
this patch can fix it.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14211#issuecomment-1573032287