On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:57:31 GMT, Chen Liang <li...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This patch implements lazy initialization for VarHandle working on static
>> fields. It has a good initial call performance.
>>
>> We introduce a new internal API, `target()` to unpack a lazy VarHandle in VH
>> implementation methods. If called via MethodHandle, a barrier is added in
>> the MethodHandle instead.
>>
>> The new test ensures the correctness of Lazy VH for both direct and indirect
>> invocation; the performance of MethodHandle version of lazy VH is not yet
>> tested.
>>

>> Benchmark                                            Mode  Cnt    Score
>> Error  Units
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleCreateEager            ss   10   41.490 ±
>> 12.331  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleCreateLazy             ss   10   21.810 ±
>> 16.964  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleInitializeCallEager    ss   10   57.860 ±
>> 13.738  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.methodHandleInitializeCallLazy     ss   10   93.300 ±
>> 18.858  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleCreateEager               ss   10   39.860 ±
>> 9.362  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleCreateLazy                ss   10   17.630 ±
>> 1.111  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleInitializeCallEager       ss   10  123.170 ±
>> 62.468  us/op
>> LazyStaticColdStart.varHandleInitializeCallLazy        ss   10  105.390 ±
>> 41.815  us/op
>
> Chen Liang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Rollback VHG changes

Latest update looks very good, i like how it has got simpler and therefore
easier to understand. I agree with a focus on the correctness for the MHs, as
it is quite hard to reason about all this. The initializing MHs should
optimize, it just takes more work to do so.

I shall provide some minor comments inline.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13821#issuecomment-1610190790