Hi Michael,

On Aug 10, 2023, at 10:48 PM, Michael Hall
<mik3h...@gmail.com<mailto:mik3h...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I assume done with jpackage by indicating something like —mac-sign only? If
wrong feel free to correct.

No, it is always done if —mac-sign is NOT specified and we doing ad-hoc signing
on app bundle only. PKG will not be ad-hoc signed.
If —mac-sign is provided we will use certificate provided with —mac-sign to
sign app image and PKG as before.

Thanks,
Alexander

I always do dmg or app-image for quick testing. I haven’t done any pkg yet.

So if I understand correctly now for app bundle types - dmg or app-image, some
signing is always done. Certificate if signing is indicated and it is provided
or adhoc if it isn’t indicated as a default. I didn’t know this.

Yes, but ad-hoc signing was introduced back in JDK 20 with
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8298488 for macOS x64 and in JDK 19 with
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8277493 for macOS aarch64. We do ad-hoc
signing for app images when generating PKG as well, so it is for all targets
and not only for app-image or dmg.

Thanks,
Alexander