On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:46:45 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <b...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Brian Burkhalter has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   8287843: Move prefix stripping to separate method; add to isAbsolute
>
> Support for `isAbsolute` was added. All `jdk_core` tests still pass. Test
> cases still need to be added to `GetAbsolutePath.java` and `IsAbsolute.java`.
> These tests also appear ripe for conversion to JUnit 5.

@bplb and I discussed this issue yesterday and agreed that the right thing is
to strip the prefix at the front door (meaning the normalization of the initial
path string), all other directions appear to end up with inconsistencies and
surprising behavior after several hops. Doing the right thing here means a
behavior change for environments where the path string comes from native code
using the long path or UNC prefix. This will need a CSR and release note. We
agreed to reevaluate the compatibility impact before JDK 22 RDP1.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15603#issuecomment-1741780454