On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:31:11 GMT, Per Minborg <pminb...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This PR proposes to improve the language used in the FFM specification. There
> is a relatively small number of corrections.
>
> One peculiarity with the English language is the distinction between "that"
> (to be used in a restrictive clause) and "which" (to be used in a
> non-restrictive clause). Here is a reference:
> https://preply.com/en/blog/when-to-use-which-or-that-the-most-common-cases
>
> Another source for updates is the difference between BE and AE where most of
> us Europeans were taught BE but we should use AE in the specifications.

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/foreign/Linker.java line 249:

> 247:  * Linker implementations may optionally support additional layouts,
> such as <em>packed</em> struct layouts.
> 248:  * A packed struct is a struct in which there is at least one member
> layout {@code L} that has an alignment
> 249:  * constraint less strict than its natural alignment. This allows for
> avoiding padding between member layouts,

IMHO this should be "allows to avoid" - it reads wrong like this :-)

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/foreign/Linker.java line 346:

> 344:  * }
> 345:  *
> 346:  * The {@code malloc} function allocates a region of memory of a given
> size,

I'd suggest replacing "of a given size" with "with the given size"

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16536#discussion_r1384754894
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16536#discussion_r1384755615