On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:05:08 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> After some offline discussions, I've decided to add a new exception
> (Arena.CleanupException) which is used to wrap custom cleanup action
> exceptions and rethrow them on close.

To be clear, the reasons as to why the original proposal was amended are as
follows:

* it is a "bug" rather than a feature that exceptions are swallowed by a
cleaner. Having those exceptions bubbling up when calling `Arena::close`
provides meaningful diagnostic feedback;
* the fact that an automatic arena doesn't report any exception from custom
cleanup can be seen explained as: a `Cleaner` will call `Arena::close`
implicitly, so exceptions (including the new `Arena.CleanupException`) will be
swallowed.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16619#issuecomment-1808531110