On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 13:22:07 GMT, Kevin Walls <kev...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> OK - sounds good. Meanwhile I had a look at the custom RMI Socket Factories
>> used by the JMX Agent, and these are actually RMIServerSocketFactories, so
>> having a timeout for connect there probably makes no sense.
>
> Thanks, yes so JMX SSL clients are without socket connect timeout, good to
> have that documented.  I logged a parallel RFE for SslRMIClientSocketFactory,
> which should wait for now as it seems wrong to go changing that right now
> without knowing if it's ever been an issue for anybody:
> [JDK-8320703](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8320703): JMX SSL RMI
> Socket connection timeout cannot be changed

wrt to the property name initialConnectTimeout might infer that it is an
initial value which can be subsequentually modified, but that is not possible.
As such, would sun.rmi.transport.tcp.connectTimeout be more appropriate --
dropping the initial ?

If the connectTimeout initialization code was placed in a static method, it
could directly unit testable :-) (if such a test was desirable for coverage
completeness)

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16771#discussion_r1404513377