On 28/11/2023 15:50, Eirik Bjørsnøs wrote:
:

In light of this, I would like to revisit this issue, 22 years later:

- Is my assessment that this change is actually not binary incompatible sound, or did I miss something? - Would it in any case make sense to mark ZipConstants as @Deprecated, maybe for removal to alert people we want to remove the constants? - Could we aim to make the mentioned classes *not* implement ZipConstants, following the regular deprecation process, CSR and release note etc?

This is a JDK 1.1 era mistake. It would a source incompatible change to "remove" the constants. It would require corpus searches to gauge the impact. I think the question is whether it's worth the disruption, is your motivation to cleanup this area or something stronger?

-Alan