On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:39:29 GMT, Aleksei Voitylov <avoity...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> If you think it's worth it, I can go through some tests and add some more
> -XX:-CompactStrings mode to java.lang.String tests here and there, lightly.
> It's not the first time we hit this issue.

Verifying the coverage of the tests would be useful. I noticed in many tests of
the API signatures that include offset and length, the offset is frequently
zero.

As for -XX:-CompactStrings, it was originally a precaution about backward
compatibility. From time to time it comes up to consider simplifying the code
to remove it. It would be good to know the use cases where it is needed and the
rationale.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17057#issuecomment-1854045141