On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:02:46 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The change to allow user/application specific arbritary charsets to the
> `ZipFile` constructor seems to have been done long back in Java 1.7 days as
> part of https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-4244499.
>
> This is merely an observation and I don't expect any changes to the ZipFile
> source or any of your proposed tests, in this context.

I agree that changing this long-standing behavior now is probably not worth the
risk. Also, there are probably non-compliant ZIPs out there worth opening.

We could perhaps consider adding a note to the documentation of `ZipFile(File,
Charset)` mentioning that the only fully standards-compliant charset is 'IBM
Code Page 437'. However, I think that's out of scope for this PR.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17207#issuecomment-1873790654