On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:08:35 GMT, Claes Redestad <redes...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> I'd very much welcome support for zstd, both for resource content and
> metadata. A larger JEP-sized project, that.
>
> I have run a quick experiment with adding a more compact header format
> (16-bit sizes for the four fields) and on a `jlink --compress 2 --add-modules
> java.se,jdk.unsupported,jdk.management` it reduces the jimage size by about
> 0.9% (33279195 vs 32983412 bytes). Throughput might take a small hit. I'm not
> sure I have time right now to get tested and PR'd but I'll post the draft
> after sponsoring this.

>From my experience on the JApp project, if compressed metadata is implemented,
>the size of these fields may be irrelevant.

In the early development stage of JApp, I used 32-bit integers to store
metadata such as resource size. But after using zstd to compress the metadata,
I was surprised to find that storing them as 64-bit integers can actually
reduce the file size for some test cases. The compression algorithm does the
work for me, so I no longer need to care about these details.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17405#issuecomment-1892821541