On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:19:31 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <i...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Since jcheck only checks file in a commit, there is a possibility of us
> getting files in the repository that would not be accepted by jcheck. This
> can happen when extending the set of files checked by jcheck, or if jcheck
> changes how it checks files (perhaps due to bug fixes).
>
> I have now run jcheck over the entire code base, and fixed a handful of
> issues. With these changes, jcheck accept the entire code base.

Some general remarks: The problems in .m4 files where not properly detected and
fixed when I added .m4 to the list of checked files. The properties files were
recently checked by me, so these suprrised me. It turned out I had
misunderstood the jcheck criteria: I thought only leading tabs were disallowed,
but it is actually tabs anywhere in the file that are banned.

In general, I have replaced tab characters with spaces aligning to tab stops at
8 characters distance.

I'll leave some remarks for individual files.

src/java.naming/share/classes/com/sun/jndi/ldap/jndiprovider.properties line 10:

> 8:
> java.naming.factory.object=com.sun.jndi.ldap.obj.AttrsToCorba:com.sun.jndi.ldap.obj.MarshalledToObject
> 9:
> 10: # RemoteToAttrs: Turn RMI/JRMP and RMI/IIOP object into
> javaMarshalledObject or

I adjusted this tab stop (with one space) so it aligned properly with the line
above; I think that was the intention.

src/jdk.jdeps/share/classes/com/sun/tools/jdeps/resources/jdkinternals.properties
 line 41:

> 39: jdk.internal.ref.Cleaner=Use java.lang.ref.PhantomReference @since 1.2 or
> java.lang.ref.Cleaner @since 9
> 40: sun.awt.CausedFocusEvent=Use java.awt.event.FocusEvent::getCause @since 9
> 41: sun.font.FontUtilities=See java.awt.Font.textRequiresLayout       @since 9

This tab just looked out of place, so I replaced it with a space. (Rhyming not
intentional...)

test/hotspot/jtreg/containers/docker/JfrReporter.java line 52:

> 50:             }
> 51:         }
> 52:     }

I'm not sure how a Java file ever got into the code base with trailing spaces,
but a guess is that there have been a bug in jcheck that did not properly check
for trailing whitespace at the end of the file, or something like that.

test/jdk/java/util/Currency/currency.properties line 18:

> 16: SB=EUR,111,2, 2099-01-01T00:00:00
> 17: US=euR,978,2,2001-01-01T00:00:00
> 18: ZZ        =       ZZZ     ,       999     ,       3

This looks weird, but so did the original code. I assume this is to clearly
indicate this as a end of list marker.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#issuecomment-1945992837
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#discussion_r1490931378
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17871#discussion_r1490931979