On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:55:06 GMT, Eirik Bjørsnøs <eir...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this PR which proposes that we officially deprecate the
>> following four methods in the `java.util.zip` package:
>>
>> * `Inflater.getTotalIn()`
>> * `Inflater.getTotalOut()`
>> * `Deflater.getTotalIn()`
>> * `Deflater.getTotalOut()`
>>
>> Since these legacy methods return `int`, they cannot safely return the
>> number of bytes processed without the risk of losing information  about the
>> magnitude or even sign of the returned value.
>>
>> The corresponding methods `getBytesRead()` and `getBytesWritten()` methods
>> introduced in Java 5 return `long`, and should be used instead when
>> obtaining this information.
>>
>> Unrelated to the deprecation itself, the documentation currently does not
>> specify what these methods are expected to return when the number of
>> processed bytes is higher than `Integer.MAX_VALUE`. This PR aims to clarify
>> this in the API specification.
>>
>> Initally, this PR handles only `Inflater.getTotalIn()`. The other three
>> methods will be updated once the wordsmithing for this method stabilizes.
>
> Eirik Bjørsnøs has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Fix {@link #getBytesRead}

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/zip/Inflater.java line 642:

> 640:      * the 32 highest order bits, as if the {@link #getBytesRead()}
> 641:      * method was called followed by a narrowing conversion from
> <code>long</code>
> 642:      * to <code>int</code>.

I think we should leave this part of the javadoc comment as-is and not change
it.

src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/zip/Inflater.java line 651:

> 649:      * the 32 highest order bits
> 650:      */
> 651:     @Deprecated

Hello Eirik, the `Deprecated` annotation allows for a `since` property. I think
we should use it here `@Deprecated(since=23)`.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17919#discussion_r1495336375
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17919#discussion_r1495335607