On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 22:41:25 GMT, Hans Boehm <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Brent Christian has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Cleaner thread dequeue happens-before running cleaning action
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/ref/Reference.java line 568:
>
>> 566:      *
>> 567:      * @apiNote
>> 568:      * Reference processing or finalization may occur whenever the
>> virtual machine detects that no
>
> How about "detects that all needed data from the object is available
> elsewhere, and no reference to that object will ever be stored ..." Otherwise
> this seems needlessly mysterious to me.

I find the additional suggested "detects that all needed data from the object
is available elsewhere" more mysterious and confusing. The current wording
seems clearer, as it sets the scene for, and motivates, when and why the
`rechabilityFence()` might be needed or used.

I may be missing the significance of the suggested "all needed data from the
object is available elsewhere" at this point in the description.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16644#discussion_r1499668692