On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:47:06 GMT, Roger Riggs <rri...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Claes Redestad has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Remove temporary microbenchmark
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/jdk/internal/reflect/ClassFileAssembler.java line
> 28:
>
>> 26: package jdk.internal.reflect;
>> 27:
>> 28: import sun.nio.cs.UTF_8;
>
> I see about equal numbers of uses of `StandardCharsets.UTF_8` and
> `sun.nio.cs.UTF_8.INSTANCE` in java.base but would lean toward the one in
> `StandardCharsets` unless there's a bootstrap order dependency.

Using `UTF_8.INSTANCE` avoids a dependency on a couple of unrelated charset
classes and thus _could_ help avoid bootstrap issues. It definitely makes sense
in `java.lang` and classes being loaded very early in the bootstrap.  Less so
here in a utility class used by legacy reflective class spinning, but since
there was primordial concern about bootstrap issues it seemed like the safer
choice.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18006#discussion_r1502750058