On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:32:22 GMT, Naoto Sato <na...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This PR intends to remove the legacy `COMPAT` locale data from the JDK. The
>> `COMPAT` locale data was introduced for applications' migratory purposes
>> transitioning to `CLDR`. It is becoming a technical debt and now is the time
>> to remove it (we've been emitting a warning at JVM startup since JDK21, if
>> the app is using `COMPAT`). A corresponding CSR has also been drafted.
>
> Naoto Sato has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Update make/jdk/src/classes/build/tools/cldrconverter/CLDRConverter.java
>
>   Co-authored-by: Andrey Turbanov <turban...@gmail.com>

test/jdk/java/util/Locale/CompatWarning.java line 28:

> 26:  * @bug 8304982 8174269
> 27:  * @summary Check if a warning is logged with COMPAT locale provider
> 28:  * @run main/othervm -Djava.locale.providers=COMPAT CompatWarning

Is it worth adding runs with COMPAT specified with other providers (both before
and/or after) for coverage sake. Such as `@run main/othervm
-Djava.locale.providers=SPI,COMPAT CompatWarning`.

test/jdk/java/util/Locale/ExpectedAdapterTypes.java line 27:

> 25:  * @test
> 26:  * @bug 8008577 8138613 8174269
> 27:  * @summary Check whether CLDR locale provider adapter is enabled by
> default

Unless I'm mistaken, there aren't any other dedicated tests to ensuring the
FALLBACK adapter is included, it might be worth updating the summary to make it
apparent that while the default preference list has CLDR, _FALLBACK_ is always
appended, since that is new behavior.

test/jdk/java/util/Locale/LocaleProvidersFormat.java line 80:

> 78:     @Test
> 79:     @EnabledOnOs(WINDOWS)
> 80:     @EnabledIfSystemProperty(named = "user.language", matches = "ja")

Thanks for fixing, as it is `HOST` the locale value should be based on the
machine at startup. Although, I'm wondering how the test passed previously then.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17991#discussion_r1503399036
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17991#discussion_r1503401752
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17991#discussion_r1503397390