On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:37:22 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Would it be possible to expand a bit on what is going on here? Are you saying
> that in the course of upgrading a JDK that you somehow get into a state where
> jspawnhelper has been replaced with a version from a newer JDK? Is the real
> issue here that the upgrade didn't shutdown the application and/or something
> copied over an existing installation during the upgrade?

It appears that answer is yes (in Debian and Ubuntu) if the machine is running
unattended-upgrades service and openjdk is not blacklisted from upgrades.
I believe we should blacklist openjdk packages by default to avoid this
situation.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18074#issuecomment-1977331977