On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 11:32:46 GMT, Jan Kratochvil <jkratoch...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> After internal discussion I have realized the patch has overgrown its
> intended scope. And one should also consider how easy it would be for a
> backport down to JDK-8. I am going to split it into:
>
>     1. cgroup1 bugfix to always use kernel-side computed minimum
> `leaf/memory.stat` even if `leaf/memory.max` is not `max` - present in the
> current patch - to be split out under a new JDK Bug ID
>
>     2. cgroup1 change from reading `leaf/memory.stat` to traversal of
> `all-depths/memory.max`. - not present in the current patch, you have
> requested it, its only advantage is it does not reset some of the stats. Is
> it really needed? Also because cgroup1 is becoming outdated, RHEL7 ends this
> summer.
>
>     3. cgroup2 bugfix to implement traversal of `all-depths/memory.max` -
> present in the current patch - to be tracked under this JDK Bug ID.
>
>     4. cgroup2 kernel-side computed minimum in `leaf/memory.max.effective` -
> present in the current patch but not planned to but checked into OpenJDK
> before the kernel patch gets accepted.
>

> Do you agree?

I won't have time to properly review this this week. The latest version seemed
to go into the right direction, though. Point 4.) above can only go in after
*any* released kernel supports it to begin with.

One goal of this patch would be to unify how this works for cgroup v1 and
cgroup v2. The on-init traversal for both versions makes sense as it solves the
same problem (systemd slice) without using the hierarchical limit work-around
(covers point 2 and 3). Point 1.) seems orthogonal to this patch, but I'm not
sure I understand what it's about to begin with...

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/17198#issuecomment-1956638224