On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:50:20 GMT, Joachim Kern <jk...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> e.g. We should change the HOTSPOT_TOOLCHAIN_TYPE=xlc to aix, because it is
> not toolchain, but OS related. As a consequence the globalDefinitions_xlc.hpp
> will become globalDefinitions_aix.hpp

No, it's not that simple. First, the `globalDefinitions_<compiler>` files are
included on a per-toolchain basis, not OS basis. Secondly, I think you will
want to have the stuff in globalDefinitions_gcc.h. In fact, if you compare
globalDefinitions_gcc.h and globalDefinitions_xlc.h side-by-side, you see that
they are much more similar than you'd perhaps naively expect. The remaining
differences will probably be better expressed as #ifdef AIX inside
globalDefinitions_gcc.h, I assume. (But of course, in the end this is up to the
hotspot team.)

I recommend doing such a side-by-side check yourself to get an understanding of
the actual differences.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18172#issuecomment-1994049434