On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:10:29 GMT, Christoph Langer <clan...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> 4f336085d1098e7fba7b58f0a73c028179a2a13d
>> ([JDK-8326718](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8326718)) added a few
>> cases to test java/util/Formatter/Padding.java with huge Strings as
>> arguments. Since all possible argument combinations for the test are stored
>> in one array, nothing can be garbage collected while the test is running and
>> the heap requirement is blown up.
>>
>> In one of our test pipelines we run tier1 tests with VMs that default to
>> 384M of heap and this is not sufficient any longer.
>>
>> I'm improving this by splitting the one large @ParameterizedTest into
>> multiple ones. With that, I could run the test successfully in a test VM
>> with 96M of heap, e.g. by modifying `@run junit Padding` to `@run
>> junit/othervm -Xmx96m Padding`
>
> Christoph Langer has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Generate large strings in parameter generator methods

I was thinking more something like

        var tenMillionBlanks = tenMillionBlanks();

and similarly for `tenMillionsZeros`, thus maintaining the `private static`
(but not `final` ;-) ) methods as in your previous commit.
But if you are happy with the last commit, it's OK as well.

Can you please add the bug id to `@bug` and correct the typo, as suggested
[here](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/18264#issuecomment-1994382507)?

Otherwise looks fine.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18264#issuecomment-1994522269