On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:29:49 GMT, Mandy Chung <mch...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > > If `--enable-runtime-link-image` is enabled, the JDK image does not
> > > include the packaged modules.
> >

> > That's not true. Right now `--enable-runtime-link-image` modifies how the
> > `lib/modules` image looks like (adds a bunch of extra resources). That's
> > it. It doesn't modify the setup of packaged modules.
>
> It is true that they are orthogonal. jlink does allow to produce a linkable
> image with `--keep-packaged-modules` and the resulting JDK image would work.

More so, the compatibility to the status quo would be better (in terms of
produced build output).

> However, the goal of this work is to produce a JDK image with smaller
> footprint. This is a question to JDK build to allow configuring building a
> linkable image with packaged modules.

IMO something like that could be achieved by creating a separate bundle (take
the JDK image, but don't include the packaged modules, for example).

> In addition, `--enable-keep-packaged-modules` is enabled by default. Do you
> want the linkable image includes `jmods` as it's currently implemented in
> this PR?

Yes we do. The main reason being that the `jdk` image has more to it than just
the image. `src.zip`, CDS data, `demo` and so on. We don't want to duplicate
that. To us, including the `jmods` folder is something that comes into play
when actually producing the bundles of the JDK. The linkable runtime option
allows for a more flexible distribution of the resulting JDK. With or without
packaged modules without limiting `jlink` usage (for the common use-cases).

If somebody truly wanted to *not* have the packaged modules after a build with
a runtime-linkable-image that's possible with the following configure options:
`--enable-linkable-runtime-image --disable-keep-packaged-modules`.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14787#issuecomment-2003848668