On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:23:07 GMT, Brent Christian <bchri...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Classes in the `java.lang.ref` package would benefit from an update to bring
>> the spec in line with how the VM already behaves. The changes would focus on
>> _happens-before_ edges at some key points during reference processing.
>>
>> A couple key things we want to be able to say are:
>> - `Reference.reachabilityFence(x)` _happens-before_ reference processing
>> occurs for 'x'.
>> - `Cleaner.register()` _happens-before_ the Cleaner thread runs the
>> registered cleaning action.
>>
>> This will bring Cleaner in line (or close) with the memory visibility
>> guarantees made for finalizers in [JLS
>> 17.4.5](https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se18/html/jls-17.html#jls-17.4.5):
>> _"There is a happens-before edge from the end of a constructor of an object
>> to the start of a finalizer (ยง12.6) for that object."_
>
> Brent Christian has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   further tweaks to reachability

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/ref/package-info.java line 137:

> 135:  *
> 136:  * A <em>reachable</em> object is any object that can be accessed in any
> potential
> 137:  * continuing computation from any live thread (as stated in {@jls
> 12.6.1}).

This seems like somewhat loose and sloppy wording to me. "Any potential
continuing computation"? "Any live thread"? Could you share a pointer to JLS
12.6.1 being referenced here?

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16644#discussion_r1529523835