Would be helpful to point to the posix standard/requirement which mandates
this. Do you mean a single Unix api description or a posix command spec? I
don’t think I know of any such things.

Wikipedia claims A POSIX-conforming variant of inet_aton, the inet_pton()
function, supports only the four-decimal variant of IP addresses.[10]

And can you also justify a bit more who needs that octal compatibility? Over
the years a lot of confusion (zero padding) and security issues (csrf filters
not catching all formats) have been found, so it’s really not a good idea to
implement it for no good reason. I think this was also the conclusion for the
ofLiteral() api.