On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:24:06 GMT, Joe Wang <jo...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Add two sample configuration files:
>
>   jaxp-strict.properties: used to set strict configuration, stricter than
> jaxp.properties in previous versions such as JDK 22
>
>   jaxp-compat.properties: used to regain compatibility from any more
> restricted configuration than previous versions such as JDK 22

Hi Joe,

Overall this looks fine though we need to clarify more as to the differences
between jaxp-compat.properties vs jaxp.properties  and also make it clearer why
anyone would use jaxp.strict.properties

As part of the review, I would suggest that a Release Note is created which
will hopefully clarify when to use which file.

Also when we actually change the defaults in a JDK release to be the equivalent
of jaxp-strict.properties, that this file can be removed?  If so this should be
documented in the Release Note and perhaps a comment in the properties file
itself

src/java.xml/share/conf/jaxp-compat.properties line 10:

> 8: # configuration, properties that have more restrictive settings as in the
> 9: # strict configuration (jaxp-strict.properties) are reversed back to their
> 10: # defaults. In particular:

I think the above needs some more word smithing  as we have not articulated
what a strict configuration is or how this differs from jaxp.properties

src/java.xml/share/conf/jaxp-compat.properties line 16:

> 14: #
> 15: # This configuration file can be used to reverse back to a working
> environment
> 16: # prior to any more restrictive configuration that may have been applied.

How does this differ from jaxp.properties for JDK 23?  I can understand for
when we move to secure by default, we just need to be clear on the purpose of
each jaxp properties files

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18831#pullrequestreview-2009160577
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18831#discussion_r1570932404
PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18831#discussion_r1570934511