On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:27:23 GMT, Raffaello Giulietti <rgiulie...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> Move all random generators mandated in package `java.util.random` and
>> currently implemented in module `jdk.random` to module `java.base`, and
>> remove module `jdk.random`.
>
> Raffaello Giulietti has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Renamed package jdk.random to jdk.internal.random.

I wish I could remember, or find the JBS issue or PR with the discussion, to
remind us as to why the implementations were put into a separate module in the
first place.

The changes in the PR looks okay. I'm just wondering if we also need to
re-examine the wording in RandomGeneratorFactory methods where it documents
"uses the service provider API". I'm surprised this is documented as an
implementation requirement. Also "service provider API" should really be
ServiceLoader API.

One other thing is that we'll need a release note for this change. It's
possible there are scripts somewhere in the wild that use jlink and specify the
jdk.random module in the sets of modules to include. These scrips will break
with this change. I don't think it's worth leaving a hollowed out module in its
place but we should at least document that it has been removed.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18932#issuecomment-2077043094