On Thu, 30 May 2024 16:15:22 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadam...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

> This PR restores a var handle cache in `Utils::makeSegmentViewVarHandle`. The
> cache was moved to `ValueLayouts::varHandle` as part of
> [pull/19251](https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19251), on the basis that we
> want to optimize the common case like:
>

> ValueLayout layout = ...
> layout.varHandle().get(...)
>

> And that caching more complex var handles didn't seem to add value, given
> that, for these var handles, the logic in `LayoutPath` needs to adapt the
> returned var handle anyways.
>
> But, `TestAccessModes` revealed a different picture - w/o any cache in
> `Utils` the test end up allocating 8963 var handle instances (instead of just
> 4), in each of the 4 runs the test includes. While this is admittedly a
> stress test, it seems nice to restore the level of sharing we had before
> [pull/19251](https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19251).

I suggest leaving a comment to document which cases this cache is trying to
address. I think that's mainly cases where the same ValueLayout is created many
times in different places (instead of the same layout being reused, for which
we already have a cache field on the layout instance itself).

Marked as reviewed by jvernee (Reviewer).

PR Review: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19485#pullrequestreview-2088881021