On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 10:42:20 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Severin Gehwolf has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Fix default description of keep-packaged-modules
>
> I've read through all src changes. I think Sundar is looking at the code
> changes too.
>
> The overall design seems solid. I know it took a long time to get there but
> this is nature of a feature like this. At this point I regret that there
> isn't a JEP. A JEP would have captured the motivation, outlined the design,
> the reasoning for the restrictions, and document the design
> choices/directions that have been prototyped. If there isn't a JEP then I
> suppose it can come later if the feature is progressed and there is
> discussion about making it the default rather than opt-in at build configure
> time.
>
> As cleanup, I think we will need to bring some consistency to the terminology
> and phrasing in documentation, code and comments. Right now there is
> "run-time linking", "linkable run-time", "run-time linkable JDK image",
> "linkable jimage".
>
> Also as cleanup, I think the code needs more comments. There is no JEP right
> now with an authoritive description of the feature so anyone maintaining this
> code will have to figure out a lot of details. It feels like there should be
> somehting that documents the effect of --enable-runtime-link-image, how the
> diffs are generated and saved, and how they are used by jlink. There is also
> a lot of new code in ImageFileCreator and JlinkTask that is asking for some
> method descriptions so that anyone touching this code can quickly understand
> what these methods are doing. I don't want to get into code style issues now
> but I think it would be helpful for future maintainers to avoid more of the
> overfly long lines if possible (some of them are 150, 160, 170+ and really
> hard to look at code side-by-side).

@AlanBateman Sure, I appreciate the feedback. Do I understand it correctly that
this won't get into JDK 23 then? If so, perhaps the better way would be to
draft a JEP for JDK 24 and get that proposed early. What I'd like to avoid is
for this change to don't see much movement for a long time between now and RDP
1 of JDK 24 and have a similar crunch when JDK 24 is close to forking. You
mention clean-up a lot. Is that suggesting it *can* go into JDK 23 and clean-up
in ramp-down? I'm confused...

Some clarity on how to best approach getting this integrated that would be
acceptable for all involved would be appreciated. Thanks!

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14787#issuecomment-2152248595