On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 19:09:36 GMT, Claes Redestad <redes...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> There are some pre-existing places where we call
> `ReferenceClassDescImpl.ofValidated` directly that could probably be switched
> over to `ConstantUtils.classDesc` for slightly nicer code. Or - if it matters
> - add a `referenceClassDesc` which avoids the `type.isPrimitive` test.

I think the main advantage of `ofValidated` is that it avoids descriptor string
computation from class objects and should be kept in performance-sensitive code.

`referenceClassDesc` would be feasible for less performance-demanding code's
initialization and known safe conversions (a few APIs in CF API expects
non-primitive CDs already). But should its implementation be `ofValidated` or
`ofValidatedBinaryName` (same question for ClassDesc)? We used
`ofValidatedBinaryName` here instead of a `toClassDesc` (which calls
`ofValidated` via `descriptorString`)

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19585#issuecomment-2153281690