On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 14:04:52 GMT, Shaojin Wen <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> We need a String format solution with good performance. String Template was
>> once expected, but it has been removed. j.u.Formatter is powerful, but its
>> performance is not good enough.
>>
>> This PR implements a subset of j.u.Formatter capabilities. The performance
>> is good enough that it is a fastpath for commonly used functions. When the
>> supported functions are exceeded, it will fall back to using j.u.Formatter.
>>
>> The performance of this implementation is good enough, the fastpath has low
>> detection cost, There is no noticeable performance degradation when falling
>> back to j.u.Formatter via fastpath.
>>
>> Below is a comparison of String.format and concat-based and StringBuilder:
>>
>> * benchmark java code
>>
>> public class StringFormat {
>>     @Benchmark
>>     public String stringIntFormat() {
>>         return "%s %d".formatted(s, i);
>>     }
>>
>>     @Benchmark
>>     public String stringIntConcat() {
>>         return s + " " + i;
>>     }
>>
>>     @Benchmark
>>     public String stringIntStringBuilder() {
>>         return new StringBuilder(s).append(" ").append(i).toString();
>>     }
>> }
>>

>> * benchmark number on macbook m1 pro
>>
>> Benchmark                            Mode  Cnt   Score   Error  Units
>> StringFormat.stringIntConcat         avgt   15   6.541 ? 0.056  ns/op
>> StringFormat.stringIntFormat         avgt   15  17.399 ? 0.133  ns/op
>> StringFormat.stringIntStringBuilder  avgt   15   8.004 ? 0.063  ns/op
>>

>> From the above data, we can see that the implementation of fastpath reduces
>> the performance difference between String.format and StringBuilder from 10
>> times to 2~3 times.
>>
>> The implementation of fastpath supports the following four specifiers, which
>> can appear at most twice and support a width of 1 to 9.

>> If necessary, we can add a few more.
>>

>> Below is a comparison of performance numbers running on a MacBook M1,
>> showing a significant performance improvement.
>>
>> -Benchmark                          Mode  Cnt    Score    Error  Units
>> (baseline)
>> -StringFormat.complexFormat         avgt   15  895.954 ? 52.541  ns/op
>> -StringFormat.decimalFormat         avgt   15  277.420 ? 18.254  ns/op
>> -StringFormat.stringFormat          avgt   15   66.787 ?  2.715  ns/op
>> -StringFormat.stringIntFormat       avgt   15   81.046 ?  1.879  ns/op
>> -StringFormat.widthStringFormat     avgt   15   38.897 ?  0.114  ns/op
>> -StringFormat.widthStringIntFormat  avgt   15  109.841 ?  1.028  ns/op
>>
>> +Benchmark                ...
>
> Shaojin Wen has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   optimize width padding

As complex as this optimization may appear, I think we can probably consider
breaking it into more maintainable parts:

1. Reducing appendable allocation if we just format to formatter once
2. Fast path for parsing 1 or 2-arg format strings
3. Fast writing if the format arguments are simple number or strings

I think you might look at `Formatter::parse` internal factory:
1. We can probably do a `Formatter.parse` before we allocate formatter +
appendable, and just pass the parsed result to the formatter to skip some
pre-processing
2. If the parse result is 1 or 2 args, we can try to go through a new fast path
if it is helpful
3. If the parse result knows what the resulting string will look like (length,
and maybe coder; thus we need to change the result to like a record) we can ask
StringBuilder to preallocate.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19956#issuecomment-2208803578