On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 12:34:37 GMT, Jorn Vernee <jver...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This is the baseline if I change `closing` to use a confined arena:
>
> ```
> Benchmark                                        Mode  Cnt   Score    Error
> Units
> ConcurrentClose.sharedClose                      avgt   10   8.089 ±  0.006
> us/op
> ConcurrentClose.sharedClose:closing              avgt   10   0.001 ±  0.001
> us/op
> ConcurrentClose.sharedClose:memorySegmentAccess  avgt   10  20.046 ±  0.019
> us/op
> ConcurrentClose.sharedClose:otherAccess          avgt   10   4.220 ±  0.002
> us/op
> ```

This is promising. Effectively, once all the issues surrounding reachability
fences will be addressed, we should be able to achieve numbers similar to above
even in the case of shared close. The only thing being slower in that case
would be the closing thread itself.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20158#issuecomment-2228448722