On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:38:28 GMT, Justin Lu <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> JDK .properties files still use ISO-8859-1 encoding with escape sequences.
>> It would improve readability to see the native characters instead of escape
>> sequences (especially for the L10n process). The majority of files changed
>> are localized resource files.
>>
>> This change converts the Unicode escape sequences in the JDK .properties
>> files (both in src and test) to UTF-8 native characters. Additionally, the
>> build logic is adjusted to read the .properties files in UTF-8 while
>> generating the ListResourceBundle files.
>>
>> The only escape sequence not converted was `\u0020` as this is used to
>> denote intentional trailing white space. (E.g. `key=This is the
>> value:\u0020`)
>>
>> The conversion was done using native2ascii with options `-reverse -encoding
>> UTF-8`.
>>
>> If this PR is integrated, the IDE default encoding for .properties files
>> need to be updated to UTF-8. (IntelliJ IDEA locks .properties files as
>> ISO-8859-1 unless manually changed).
>
> Justin Lu has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Replace InputStreamReader with BufferedReader

src/jdk.jartool/share/classes/sun/tools/jar/resources/jar_pt_BR.properties line
95:

> 93:
> 94: main.usage.summary=Uso: jar [OPTION...] [ [--release VERSION] [-C dir]
> files] ...
> 95: main.usage.summary.try=Tente `jar --ajuda' para obter mais informações.

I was looking for something unrelated in properties files, and found this. It
is surprising to see an option name being localised; it must be a bug.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15694#discussion_r1722966688