Hi developers,

In migrating to 0.15 - i am noticing that the compression interfaces
have changed:

-          compression type for sequencefile outputs used to be set by:
SequenceFile.setCompressionType()

-          now it seems to be set using:
sequenceFileOutputFormat.setOutputCompressionType()

The change is for the better - but would it be possible to:

-          remove old/dead interfaces. That would have been a
straightforward hint for applications to look for new interfaces.
(hadoop-default.xml also still has setting for old conf variable:
io.seqfile.compression.type)

-          if possible - document changed interfaces in the release
notes (there's no way we can find this out by looking at the long list
of Jiras).

As u can imagine - this causes a very subtle and harmful regression in
behavior of existing apps. It does not causes failures - and in our case
- switched from BLOCK to RECORD compression - meaning - there's no
compression at all pretty much. I caught this by *pure* chance and now I
am living in absolute fear of what else lurks out there.

i am not sure how updated the wiki is on the compression stuff (my
responsibility to update it) - but please do consider the impact of
changing interfaces on existing applications. (maybe we should have a
JIRA tag to mark out bugs that change interfaces).

As always - thanks for all the fish (err .. working code),

Joydeep