Actually, it might just be good to have a warning spit out if you use ANY
unknown key that starts with mapred.* or any of the other hadoop-specific
parameters.

That way mis-spellings would be caught as well as deprecations.

If you want to set a value and not get a warning, just pick a different
prefix.

On 2/20/08 6:13 PM, "Jason Venner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree. I am in the midst of combing through the config files for 16 to
> see what changes i have to retrofit into our jobs.
> Support in the tools to inform of the use of depreciated or outright
> removed keys would be wonderful.
>
> Aaron Kimball wrote:
>> As a general follow-up suggestion : Is there a mechanism to output a
>> warning when the user sets deprecated JobConf keys? Given that you can
>> set any arbitrary key name and it will simply be ignored, this might
>> be a good idea.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> Joydeep Sen Sarma wrote:
>>> In addition:
>>>
>>> -          "mapred.output.compression.type" is now replaced with
>>> "mapred.map.output.compression.type"
>>>
>>> -          the old implementation of the Java interface
>>> setMapOutputCompressorClass() used to turn on map compression on
>>> automatically as side-effect, the 0.15 one doesn't. Looks like one has
>>> to call setCompressMapOutput() separately.
>>>

>>> Aargh.

>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joydeep Sen