How does replication affect this?  If there's at least one replicated
 client still running, I assume that takes care of it?

Never mind -- I get this now after reading the docs again.

My remaining point of failure question concerns name nodes. The docs say manual intervention is still required if a name node goes down. How is this typically managed in production environments? It would seem even a short name node outage in a data intestive environment would lead to data loss (no name node to give the data
to).

--
Steve Sapovits
Invite Media  -  http://www.invitemedia.com