What about a hot standby namenode?

For write-ahead-log to avoid crash and recovery, I think this is fine for
small I/O.
For large volume, the write-ahead-log will actually take up the system IO
resource
pretty much that makes 2 IO per block (log and the actual data).  This will
fall back
how current database design implements recovery and crash.

Another thing I don't see in the picture is how Hadoop manage system file
system
instructions.  Each system has different implementation on their file system
and I believe
that by calling 'write' or 'flush' does not really flush the data to the
disk.  Not sure if this is
inevitable and platform OS dependent, but I cannot find any documents to
describe how
Hadoop handle this.

P.S. I handle HA and fail-over mechanism in my own application, but I think
for a framwork,
it should be transparent (semi-transparent) to the user.

-annndy