I found the solution.  Please let me know if you have a better idea.

I added the following addResource lines.

    conf.addResource(new Path("location_of_hadoop-default.xml"));
    conf.addResource(new Path("location_of_hadoop-site.xml"));

    FileSystem fs = FileSystem.get(conf);

(Would be good to update the wiki page).

- CEG

--
Best Regards, Cagdas Evren Gerede