Hi,

Planet-scale data explorations and data mining operations will almost
always need to include some sequential scans. Then, How can we speed
up sequential scans? BigTable paper shows that.

* Column-oriented storage (it reduces I/O)
* Data compression
* PDP (parallel distributed processing) using Map/Reduce

Also, Matrices which are column major typically perform better with
column-oriented operations, and likewise for row major matrices. See
the Hama/Heart project (http://incubator.apache.org/hama,
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HeartProposal) on Hadoop + Hbase.

Salesman, Edward :)

--