Thank you very much for your effort!

> So it really depends on what you want to use it for.  If you're
> thinking about it, you probably have some kind of scale issues.

Not at the moment. Actually our software runs on a single server, web
server/database/file storage/lucene side by side. But we're planing to
create a structured approach, on how to scale in future. For the
database layer there're options like Master/Slave, Master/Master,
Clustering, Sharding AND HBase. HBase offers unlimited scaling
opportunities, with some drawbacks compared to relational dbs at the
moment. One of our considerations is "stay with RDBMS and perhaps got
some huge scaling issues in the future or decide for HBase and PERHAPS
benefit from it in the future". What do you mean, is this the right way
to think about the whole topic?

As i can read, companies like Flickr, Digg and so on, put huge effort in
sharding their databases. Would HBase be suitable for this scenario and
would it had saved the trouble?

> Again, typical small web apps are far simpler to write using SQL
> When building large scale web applications, this is what you want.

and thats the problem :) You don't know when and if your web
applications becomes popular/large. As a computer scientist you're
always anxious to keep the future (growings) in mind (and even more if
it "costs" that less then HBase)