Hi Ryan,

I actually blogged my experience as it was my first usage of EC2:
http://biodivertido.blogspot.com/2008/06/hadoop-on-amazon-ec2-to-generate.html

My input data was not log files but actually a dump if 150million
records from Mysql into about 13 columns of tab file data I believe.
It was a couple of months ago, but I remember thinking S3 was very slow...

I ran some simple operations like distinct values of one column based
on another (species within a cell) and also did some Polygon analysis
since to do "is this point in this polygon" does not really scale too
well in PostGIS.

Incidentally, I have most of the basics of a "MapReduce-Lite" which I
aim to port to use the exact Hadoop API since I am *only* working on
10's-100's GB of data and find that it is running really fine on my
laptop and I don't need the distributed failover.  My goal for that
code is for people like me who want to know that I can scale to
terrabyte processing, but don't need to take the plunge to full Hadoop
deployment yet, but will know that I can migrate the processing in the
future as  things grow.  It runs on the normal filesystem, and single
node only (e.g. multithreaded), and performs very quickly since it is
just doing java NIO bytebuffers in parallel on the underlying
filesystem - on my laptop I Map+Sort+Combine about 130,000 jobs a
seconds (simplest of simple map operations).  For these small
datasets, you might find it useful - let me know if I should spend
time finishing it (Or submit help?) - it is really very simple.

Cheers

Tim