I've never dealt with a large cluster, though I'd imagine it is managed the
same way as small clusters:

-Use hostnames or ips, whichever is more convenient for you
-All the slaves need to go into the slave file
-You can update software by using bin/hadoop-daemons.sh.  Something like:
#bin/hadoop-daemons.sh "rsync (mastersrcpath) (localdestpath)"

I created a wiki page that currently contains one tip for managing large
clusters.  Could others add to this wiki page?

<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/LargeClusterTips>

Thanks.  Hope this helps!

Alex